I wish I had more time right now to write, but unfortunately this will probably be short. Explanation: 1. the internets haven't been working on my computer in my apartment (it'll be back next week) 2. my laptop (given to me by my school) was taken so a Canadian could use it for a camp, and I still don't have it back 3. I'm typing on a shared computer at said camp, and therefore can't spend much time on it.
So, this camp. Three weeks ago, a group of 30-or-so Canadian high school teachers flew into Busan to teach at a camp sponsored by the Gijang (city where I work) government and my company. For the past few weeks, we've all been co-teaching together in the Gijang middle school, where 650 students come every day for four hours to learn english. The program was designed more for the Canadian teachers, so I use the term "co-teaching" lightly. In other words, I've gotten really good at confiscating cell phones, spotting bugs on the wall, turning fans on and off, opening and closing windows, and brushing up on proper "SHHHHHH!!!" techniques... but I'm not complaining. This camp isn't for me, it's for the Canadians and the Koreans to learn from each other, so it's been quite fun to step back and watch the often awkward and hilarious cross-cultural interactions I've become so familiar with. Plus, every day they provide catered lunch for the teachers. Bonus!
Tomorrow Lauren and I are headed for Jeju-do, said to be the "Hawaii of Korea." So we're really looking forward to that, especially since monsoon season has mostly ended--it rained for the past month straight--and it's looking like we'll be there between two typhoons, so hopefully we'll be able to catch some solid rays. Maybe even catch a tropical illness!
Next week I promise to catch up with the last couple months. But all in all, I'm still happy, still loving each new day of life, and still (mostly) sane.
Miss and love you all. Until next week, annyong!
(EDIT: Okay so nobody else is lining up for the computer, so I'm putting up some stuff I've saved on here before, but didn't post correctly at the time. Hopefully they work this time.)
ANOTHER EDIT: ARGHHHASD:LGHSD:OIHOIHCNOERIHLKDSHG:IOHE!!!!!! WHY DON'T MY VIDEOS UPLOAD RIGHT ANYMORE?!?!?!?!?! I've tried so many times and for some reason the audio lags so much! Anyone that can help me with this????
The view of Gwangali Bridge (10 minutes from my apt) taken from Gwangali Beach on a night with a full moon. It was pretty windy, so it's blurry, but you get the idea.
This was from the sand festival a couple months back. A really impressive kite, with some really lousy narration by me.
A view of the Korean countryside on one of the weekend trips Lauren and I took. It's always nice to get away from the city and see the beautiful terrain.
I love this little guy. They show lots of English movies here (with Korean subtitles) but the pre-movie emergency plan stuff is only in Korean. So I'm not sure entirely everything they say, but here I think he is telling me that in the case of a fire, do not use the elevator; rather jump out of one of the windows conveniently located down the hall.
hey Tyrel, I've been slack too and never made a comment although in my initial enthusiasm I tagged this blog to follow. How slack is that? I've been in Korea for three months now. Mostly in Wando town. I got out of Wando for the first time 2 weeks ago, went back home for two day and left again. I'm heading for Busan today (Saturday15th)for three nights. Are you still on Summer Camp? My school didn't want me for 5 weeks !! (sad about the education factor, happy about the paid vacation!) paul
ReplyDeleteHey, good to read about camp and see the videos. Thanks for at least emailing me in between posts!! And please don't catch any cooties on your trip!
ReplyDelete