Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Here it Goes...

I'm moving to Korea. No matter how many times I've thought or said these words in the past few months, I can't believe they're true. Even now, less than 20 hours to go before I step on the plane, the reality of them still escapes me. But my bulging suitcases, my flight itinerary, and my freshly-stamped passport are real enough, and they say it's finally time; time to open the door to the next chapter of my life. And I say bring it on.

I have to laugh at myself when I think of how much I hated school at times, and now that I'm finally graduated from college, I'm going back to the classroom for at least another year -- though (thankfully) on the other side of things. What to expect from teaching, I'm not really sure, because it seems like everything I've read from others who've done the same is based on their individual situations, locations, and mindset. So I believe my experience will be what I make it, and I'm going in with my love for language, an open mind, and a willingness to learn and adapt. I think these are more important than any item I could put in a suitcase. Maybe my toothbrush.

This is the first time I've done any "blogging", but I'm going to update this site regularly during my time in Pusan, Korea. I figure it's probably the best way for those of you who are interested to see not only how things are going for me (there will no doubt be many crazy stories and experiences to follow), but also to learn about Korean culture and customs from the standpoint of an American. I just hope to use my objectivity and subjectivity appropriately. Regardless, the months to follow should provide for some entertaining reads.

Much love to all of you--especially Mom and Dad--who have helped me out (for some I would call it "pulling me out of the trenches"), whether emotionally, financially, or socially. I couldn't have gotten this far without you. So I'll be sure to post my address ASAP so you can continue to send love, money, and treats :-).

Alright, here it goes -- I'm off. Goodbye America, hello Korea.

2 comments:

  1. You're sense of humor really comes out in your writing. I like it. Keep it up. Miss you bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're all right and we're happy to get you there! Still playing Scrabble?

    ReplyDelete