Lots to write about, but this couldn't wait.
It's past three in the morning here, and I'm in one of the coolest places I've ever been, feeling probably the most relaxed I've ever been. "Vesta" Jjim-Jil-Bang is unlike anything I've ever seen in the states. Basically it's a public bath that never closes, up on the top of a hill overlooking the beach and downtown Haeundae. Absolutely breathtaking. Todd and I came here about 4 hours ago, and don't plan on going home for at least another few. There are at least another hundred people all around with the same idea -- but most of them are sawing logs on the floor. You pay about the cost of an Applebee's meal to get in, and then the place is yours for as long as you want to stay.
We first hung out in the nude (no other option--but there is a men's floor and women's floor) in the several hot and cold pools of different temperatures, kicked it in the saunas and steam rooms, and relaxed in the outdoor hot tub up on the roof's balcony with an amazing view of the mountains, beach, and city lights. Then we scrubbed down with special soaps and sponges that made my skin sing. When the workers kicked us off that floor for cleaning, we came downstairs (clothes now required) and were treated to a few under-a-buck, ten-minute massages that my body is now loving me for. Though I'm about six inches too tall for the beds, that didn't stop the butt massage from feeling absolutely glorious . There are igloo-shaped sauna things that we had to crawl through the entrance to get in in order to sweat our kahunas off (temperature 80 degrees celsius). Blankets and pillows are all over this place, and people take advantage of them to crash wherever they please. This means in order to grab the water I'm drinking, I had to step over and around dozens of people who don't seem to mind sleeping on a hard floor. There are also a couple bunk rooms -- it looked like people were piled on top of eachother in them, but I'm steering clear of those.
Alright well my computer time is up -- and just little bit before the pools open back up. So nap time now, then we'll take another dip, and then it's time to run the mountain trails in the later morning. Woooooooo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Ty:
ReplyDeleteGuess I'm the first to add a comment to your blog--lucky me! Glad to see you finally arrived safely in Korea. Also happy to see you'll be updating the blog on a regular basis so we can enjoy your experiences vicariously (didn't expect to see anything out here already--keep it up!) Have fun, be safe, make friends, make a difference...
I love you.
Dad