Thursday, October 30, 2008

Teaching

Teaching at Young Jae Elite Academy has so far been nothing like I expected. Since I'm the only native English speaker here, I'm rather oblivious to what the other teachers are talking about or planning for the school; nobody has really bothered to fill me in on much, and for all I know they're all making fun of me when I think they're talking about text books and paper clips. I'm at a severe lack of material, as (from what I gather) the school is in the process of getting new workbooks for the students. So mostly I've been making up my own lessons and just drifting along with the assumption they'll start cluing me in at some point.
So while I'm still very lost in terms of what exactly I'm supposed to be doing as far as grades, testing, and curriculum goes, I find myself really enjoying--for the most part--my time with the kids in the classroom. With the exception of one class (out of my now seven) the kids are very attentive and participate way more than I'd hoped for. Maybe they do this out of fear, but I like to think it's because I incorporate humor and variety with my lessons. My goal for teaching is to be more of a friend figure to the kids rather than some sort of tyrant. I think back to the teachers I loved in school and what it was that made them special, and I try to emulate their qualities. And it helps that I've always been pretty good with kids--I'm just a big one myself, after all.
Seeing the proverbial "lightbulb" switch on as I'm guiding the kids through new material makes it totally worth it. The fact that I'm able to connect with them and know my time spent in the class is worthwhile fills me with a sort of giddy pride, as corny as that may seem. Walking out of the classroom surrounded by kids that want to continue chatting and using the new grammar and phrases they've learned is an amazing experience. What can I say? They like me :-)
The ONE class, however, that's a different story. It's like they've collectively decided I'm the spawn of Satan and to enter my classroom is like stepping into the depths of Hell. To compare teaching their class to pulling teeth would be a severe understatement. They don't say anything, they won't comply with what I ask them to do, they attempt to sleep, and so on and so forth. Thankfully, though, when I brought this up to another teacher she told me that's just the way that class is, and that I just need to start hitting them. I hadn't planned on ever using the bamboo stick of death Mr. Han gave me on day one, but if this keeps up you can bet there are going to be some nasty welts on the wrists of some of the little buggers. Mean? No, that's the way it is here. Would I feel bad? You bet your bottom, I would. But necessary? Mr. Han says so. So what must be done shall be done -- I'm just hoping I can get through to them before it comes to that point. Yowch.

4 comments:

  1. OOO! bamboo sounds painful. Great adventures you're having. Love hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should grow out your fingernails and scratch them on the board every time you walk into that one class.

    You should get more pictures posted on here if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or how about your airsoft gun? That would be more fun and not at all uncomfortable to your own ears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i need your email. Can't remember it.

    ReplyDelete