Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tall and White

The sense of detachment and alienation I feel here is almost surreal -- but by no means in a bad way. In fact, it's a breath of fresh air (figuratively speaking, of course; I hear the pollution here is quite high.) I walk through the city knowing I'm not going to recognize--or be recognized by-- anybody, and it fills me with a sort of liberation; I can be whatever I want to be here. Of course, I'm stuck with the "enormously tall and white" thing, but other than that I feel no restraints on what I can become. This is a rare chance to reinvent myself--a golden opportunity to deconstruct and reconstruct the foundations of my life. For the first time I feel in absolute control of my own destiny, and I plan on taking full advantage of this unfolding epiphany.



Yes, I miss certain things about America and my life there--especially my Madi ;-)--but there are so many new sights, sounds, and smells to soak in that I've barely had a chance to weigh the pros and cons of my coming here. In fact, it's not even something I care to do, because there's no point. The fact is, I'm here and can live fully with the purpose of bettering myself in so many different ways. The surrounding culture not only encourages this, but requires it if I'm going to survive in this alien land for a year.

---------------------------------------

Every time I step outside (yes Bob, the doorways are all tall enough, though my shower stall is not) I'm bombarded by a million new things to take in: the fish, squid, octopi, and eels of a thousand different types in restaurant-side tanks waiting to be hacked up and served raw and writhing; the old street vendors with countless types of fresh and colorful produce sending delicious scents up and down alleyways; the zillions of neon signs lighting up the streets with flashing rainbows of color; the constant sound of carhorns and whiney scooter engines as traffic weaves its way haphazardly to and from who-knows-where. It's a sensory overload at all times, no matter where I find myself. And, as far as I'm concerned, it's all mine -- my playground to explore and take new chances at every turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment